There are a number of tests that our Optometrist’s perform to assess the type and severity of your Dry Eye Disease.
- Symptom type, severity and duration,
- Tear film quantity and quality,
- TearLab Osmolarity (salt content of the tear film),
- Tear gland secretion, quality and stability,
- Assessment of the eyelids and eyelid function, and
- Assessment of the glands and their function.
Once the Optometrist has assessed and determined the underlying cause of your Dry Eye Disease, they will be able to formulate a tailored treatment plan for you which may include a combination of the the following:
- Specific lubricant eye drops (differing composition for the different tear film imbalances),
- Prescription eye drops (including steroid eye drops for inflammatory conditions),
- Nutrition advice and/or Omega-3 supplements e.g. Lacritec,
- Daily hot compress and lid massage,
- Manual expression of the Meibomian glands,
- Punctal Occlusion,
- Bandage contact lenses and Scleral lenses (for protection of the eye surface),
- LipiFlow® Thermal Pulsation treatment, and
- E>Eye IPL.